Ke Kai Ola is the Hawaiian Monk Seal Hospital located on the Big Island of Hawaii.
What is Ke Kai Ola?
- In 2014, The Marine Mammal Center opened “Ke Kai Ola” (“The Healing Sea”) which is a hospital and education center dedicated to caring for injured, ill, and orphaned Hawaiian monk seals.
- The hospital returns the Hawaiian monk seals to the wild once healthy enough to survive.
- The hospital also is a place where children and the community learn to care for this beautiful marine mammal.
Ke Kai Ola Goals
- Promote Hawaiian monk seal recovery through:
- Science-based rehabilitation program
- Highly trained and well-managed volunteer stranding response network
- Coordinated community efforts and partnerships to inspire the local community to protect, care for, and ensure the future of this endangered species.
The Dolphin Quest Connection
- Dolphin Quest Crew Members volunteer their time at the hospital
- Dolphin Quest runs their water quality samples
- Dolphin Quest orders their fish needed for monk seal diets and we hold it in our freezer until needed