What is the Last Plastic Straw?
The Last Plastic Straw initiative seeks to activate citizens through a grassroots campaign to encourage individuals to push for change in restaurant protocol and practices in their local communities around the world.
- Over 5,000,000 plastic straws are used each day in the United States.
- In only the past 20 years, people have come to expect plastic straws in every drink, in an example of extreme waste being generated for minimal convenience.
- These short-lived tools are usually dropped into a garbage can with no further thought, instantly becoming a source of plastic pollution.
Take Personal Action
Stage 1: Go Plastic Straw Free
- Make a personal commitment to say “no” to plastic straws.
- Whenever ordering a drink, politely request “no straw, please.”
- Encourage your friends and family to take the pledge too!
- Use your own paper, glass, bamboo, or stainless steel straw instead, and start a conversation.
- ACTION: Take the “No Plastic Straw Pledge”.
Stage 2: Influence Businesses to Offer Straws Upon Request
- Reach out to some local eateries in your neighborhood or town and ask them to change their protocol to only serve straws upon request.
- ACTION: Print and leave these “Please Serve Straws Upon Request” cards with your bill!
Stage 3: Influence Businesses to Offer Non-Plastic Straw Options
- Encourage those eateries to make a change to non-plastic straw options
- Options include paper, glass, or stainless steel – if diners do request a straw.
- ACTION: Have these businesses sign the “The Last Plastic Straw Business Pledge”.
The Dolphin Quest Connection
- Dolphin Quest has encouraged all Crew Members to take the “No Plastic Straw Pledge”.
- Dolphin Quest has encouraged its partners to “serve straws upon request”.
- Dolphin Quest has encouraged its partners to offer “non-plastic straw options”.