Home Page / Conservation / Support a Cause / 4Ocean
4Ocean is actively cleaning our oceans and coastlines!
What is 4Ocean?
- An environmental company launched by two surfers who were inspired to take action by piles of plastic pollution during a surf trip to Bali, Indonesia.
- They knew they needed to come up with an idea that would fund the desired cleanup efforts.
- The company uses money from sales of its products to remove trash from the ocean and employs over 150 people worldwide.
- In less than two years, 4Ocean has removed 1,117,804 pounds of trash from the ocean and coastlines.
How does it work?
- 4Ocean sells bracelets made from recycled materials.
- For each bracelet sold, 4Ocean will remove one pound of trash from the ocean and coastlines.
- 4Ocean employs captains and cleanup crews from Florida to Bali that are cleaning our oceans and coastlines seven days a week.
- 4Ocean hosts beach cleanups, offshore cleanups and worldwide cleanups to make the greatest impact.
- The bracelet represents a commitment to cleaning the ocean and to raise awareness of the 4Ocean movement.
Why are plastics a problem for the ocean?
- An estimated 16 billion pounds of plastic enter the ocean each year.
- It’s been predicted that oceans will contain more plastic than fish by 2050 if no actions are taken to reduce the flow of plastics into waterways.
- Tiny degraded plastic particles become lodged in the digestive system of animals, leading to impairment or death.
- Fish, turtles, seabirds, sea lions, dolphins, and whales can die from eating or become entangled in larger pieces of plastic floating in the ocean.
- Plastic particles can absorb toxins already in the water and spread them through the marine food web, and possibly to humans.
Where can you get involved in cleanups?
- There are numerous 4Ocean Cleanups planned each year all around the world.
- You can get location information, directions, details, and also pre-register for these events on the 4Ocean website.
- For a complete listing of the upcoming cleanups, just click here: https://4ocean.com/pages/clean-ups.
The Dolphin Quest Connection
- Dolphin Quest proudly sells the 4Ocean bracelets in all its gift shops to help support this cause.
- Dolphin Quest is looking forward to taking part in future beach clean-ups in Hawaii and Bermuda.
- Dolphin Quest is seeking additional partnerships with 4Ocean for the future.