The Pacific Marine Life Foundation is making a difference!
Who is the PMLF?
- The Pacific Marine Life Foundation (PMLF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization led by marine scientists, environmentalists, and educators.
- We support scientific research that helps identify solutions to the most critical conservation challenges facing marine species and ecosystems in the Pacific basin.
- We encourage responsible activities that educate the public and strengthen their connections to marine life, inspiring future generations of ocean stewards.
What is the Stranding Science Center?
- Marine mammals can become stranded on our beaches when they are sick, injured, or deceased, and these strandings can be the result of natural or human related causes.
- When strandings occur, it is critical for trained response teams to provide immediate assistance to the animals in need. Stranding events also allow scientists the unique opportunity to closely investigate mortalities and collect data from both living and deceased animals.
- The scientific knowledge gained from stranded animals provides valuable insight into marine mammal health and disease, and the state of their marine environment.
- PMLF’s commitment to supporting these rescue and rehabilitation efforts in the Hawaiian waters will include funding a state of the art Stranding Science Center on Oahu.
- This facility will be a base for the rehabilitation of stranded cetaceans before their reintroduction into the wild, and it will serve as a research lab to learn more about these animals and the cause of their stranding.
- PMLF’s support of these rescue and rehabilitation efforts, as well as the construction of the Stranding Science Center, will be reliant on donations from the community, businesses and grant-making organizations.
How does PMLF support education?
- PMLF is dedicated to supporting initiatives that educate and help inspire the next generations of ocean stewards.
- Our mission is to increase conservation efforts by expanding the knowledge of marine life, their habitats and how to preserve them.
- PMLF sponsors a variety of public education programs including student field trips, scientific conferences for teachers and special seminars on marine conservation and research.
- We support advanced studies by respected national organizations in a continuing effort to advance the body of knowledge concerning marine life.
- PMLF partners with the professional educators to provide outreach programs, enabling thousands of Hawaii students to learn about marine life.
- Program goals include developing greater student appreciation of the oceans’ diverse, delicate habitat by exposing students to marine animals in a fun and lively learning setting.
- Outreach educators visit schools, many of them rural, where they provide engaging lessons based on National Science Standards.
- PMLF’s support of these education efforts is reliant on donations from the community, corporations and grant-making organizations.
How does PMLF support research?
- Research is a vital part of PMLF’s work on behalf of marine life.
- To become true stewards of the oceans, mankind must learn more about the habits and needs of its animal species.
- There are approximately 20 species of cetaceans that can be found in Hawaiian waters.
- Except for spinner dolphins and humpback whales, scientists know very little about these animals and the threats they face.
- The research supported by PMLF will provide critical insight into the lives of these species, their plight in the wild and how we can help.
- PMLF supports university level studies in the field, as well as research that will take place at PMLF’s future Oahu-based Stranding Science Center.
- This center will focus on the study of stranded cetaceans as well as their rehabilitation and reintroduction into the wild.
How can you donate and support PMLF?
- Your support is vital to protecting marine animals and preserving their ocean environment in the Pacific basin.
- Your tax-deductible contribution supports:
- Response to stranded cetaceans
- Building of the Stranding Science Center
- University level research projects
- Public outreach and education
- Conservation of critical marine ecosystems
- Your support is vital to protecting marine animals and preserving their ocean environment.
- There are a variety of donation levels available to you:
The Dolphin Quest Connection
- Dolphin Quest Hawaii makes financial contributions to PMLF throughout the year.
- Dolphin Quest also provides professional expertise and in-kind support to PMLF.