We are pleased to announce the introduction of an abbreviated program for the period March 4 – August 26, 2023. The full year program will resume in the Fall for the next academic year.
Come join the Dolphin Quest team in our exciting educational Junior Apprentice program.
Our junior apprentices will explore a multi-faceted marine mammal program which includes all aspects of an interactive marine mammal facility. Giving the opportunity for local students to learn about the variety of careers involving marine mammals, marine conservation, scientific studies, education and hospitality.
Space within this program is limited.
Dolphin Quest Junior Apprentice Program Description
The candidate should meet the following criteria in order to be considered. If you have any questions about your qualifications or abilities, please email us.
- Be between the ages of 13 and 17 years of age.
- Be currently enrolled in school with good academic record.
- Have reliable transportation to Dockyard and Dolphin Quest.
- Have a parent or guardian attend orientation
- Obtain written permission from a parent or guardian
- A passion for the marine environment.
- Able to read, write and speak fluently in English.
- Are comfortable in deep water with basic swimming skills.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the Junior Apprentice program which includes working outdoors in all-weather elements, lifting 10lbs, and standing for long periods of time.
- Must be able to commit to the entire Junior apprentice program. Please note the start and end dates of the session to which you are applying.
- We also look for students who demonstrate the following:
- A positive attitude
- An excitement and passion to learn
- Are a team player and contribute to a team atmosphere
- Are confident around large animals
- Are confident with public speaking
During the Junior Apprentice program, you will have the opportunity to participate in the following:
- Receive an in-depth hands-on and experiential education with a focus on bottlenose dolphins in an accredited marine mammal care environment.
- Learn about in the sciences of animal training and behavior
- Learn about the value of high standard preventative health care, from diet preparation, to new behavior training and scientific studies.
- Develop essential professional skills in a practical setting such as public engagement, speaking and teamwork.
- Explore and experience marine animals, ocean habitats, conservation and the environment.
- Attend group days to help develop teamwork and knowledge of basic behavioral understanding as well as personal development.
- Receive mentorship from highly trained Marine Mammal Specialists
- Receive regular feedback, and benefit from development opportunities, utilizing practical application.
- Participate in outreach engagement, possible on-going scientific studies and conservation focused activities to inspire change, all while creating a connection to our animal family and the environment
This experience is a journey worth discovering as you join the Dolphin Quest mission “to touch hearts and minds through fun, innovative experiences, that create a connection to nature and a passion to learn more”.
Be Inspired, Make a Difference.
Dolphin Quest Bermuda is located inside the beautiful and historical National Museum of Bermuda in Dockyard.
· The 2023 Junior Apprentice program will be running from March 4th until August 26th
Required Commitment and shift length:
- Shifts are 3.5hours in length
- AM shift times are 9:00am – 12:30pm
- PM shift times are 1:00pm – 4:30pm
- Expected commitment of at least 2 shifts per month
- A commitment of at least 2 extra shifts during spring and fall breaks
- A commitment of 10 shifts during Summer break
Application and Deadline
Completed application packets must arrive no later than 6 p.m. by February 14th the final deadline date. Applications that are incomplete or arrive after the final deadline may risk not being considered. All application materials must be sent either electronically or be dropped off in person at Dolphin Quest Bermuda, see link below for the application. Applications also will be available for pick up upon request at Dolphin Quest.
Junior Apprentice Application – Download application form here
Please Note – The application is a pdf file. Please download and rename the file using your full name and save before sending.
Or print out, fill in and drop it off at Dolphin Quest in Dockyard along with other required documents.
Completed application packet must include:
- A completed application
- A one-page cover letter briefly describing yourself and any past animal experience
- A copy of your academic history from school
- One letter of reference from an individual who is not family
All files must be pdfs.
Academic Credit: Students may be able to gain academic credit with their school or be able to apply their volunteer hours to their community work. Students will need to speak to their school counselor or advisor for information on making those arrangements. Dolphin Quest will assist with any necessary paperwork to support eligible students in gaining academic credit or volunteer/community service hours.
For more information email [email protected]