Dolphin Quest Bermuda’s Junior Apprentice Program is designed to inspire students to pursue a career within the marine mammal field. Participants will work directly with our staff and will be assisting with all aspects of daily operations at a dolphin interaction facility. Space within this program is limited.
Dolphin Quest Junior Apprentice Program Description
This opportunity is available to local Bermudian students, ages 12-17.
The candidate must meet the following criteria:
- A positive attitude and approach to daily operations
- A strong willingness to learn
- Good academic record
- An interest in pursuing a position within the marine mammal field
- The ability to contribute to a team atmosphere
- Reliable transportation to and from the DQ facility
- Obtain written permission from parent or guardian
- Obtain one letter of recommendation
- Able to attend orientation with parent or guardian
- Comfortable in deep water
- Willing to work outside year-round
Dolphin Quest’s Junior Apprentice program is a hands-on learning experience, where participants work alongside the Dolphin Quest Bermuda Crew. Junior Apprentices spend time learning all aspects of the Dolphin Quest workplace that may include, but is not limited to, items listed below.
- Learning and applying Dolphin Quest values* (see below)
- Animal identification
- Dolphin and program observation
- Fish bucket preparation
- Vitamin fish preparation
- Note taking
- Record keeping
- Guest services interaction, including wet-suiting and life-jacketing guests
- Fish room cleanup
- Interaction with guests
- Preparation of masks and toys
- Facility maintenance and care
- Provide assistance to trainers
- Assist with other departments
The duties of the individual apprentice will vary based on the effort put forth and their individual learning curve. They will also learn how to work and succeed in a professional environment. Apprentices may be invited to take part in field trips and lectures organized by the intern coordinator.
*Dolphin Quest places a high priority on actualizing our core values:
- Character and integrity
- Open communication
- Outside-the-box thinking and creativity
- Loyalty and dedication
- Personal and professional growth
- Lots of fun and enjoyment
- Animal health and well-being
- Conservation and global stewardship
- Excellence and professionalism
- Sensational service
Dolphin Quest Bermuda, located in the National Museum of Bermuda in Dockyard.
The program operates from November 2nd to August 30th 2019. Students are required to volunteer a minimum of two shifts a month during the school year and two extra shifts per month during school breaks. Students must also contribute a minimum of 20 shifts during their summer break towards the program. Shifts are four hours in length, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. or 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Application and Deadline
- Completed applications can be submitted to Orla McDonnell, Trainer/Junior Apprentice Coordinator, by e-mail or fax please see application for this information
- Correspondence in regards to this program is expected to take part between the applicants and supervisors. Parents are encouraged to mentor their children in this role
- Please note that participation in the program does not guarantee space in the following year’s program. Students must reapply for subsequent years
If sending electronically, please download file, rename the file using your full name and save to your computer before sending.
Application Deadline – All spots for the 2018-2019 session have currently been filled. The application deadline for the upcoming 2019-2020 session is September 13th, 2019 at 6pm ADT. For further information on Applications please contact Orla McDonnell, Junior Apprentice Coordinator, [email protected]