Senior Marine Mammal Specialist
|Bermuda||Training||May 2021||April 23, 2021|
Please submit the online application including cover letter and resume. Please see instructions below on how to submit application, resume and cover letter.
Position: Senior Marine Mammal Specialist
The Sr. Marine Mammal Specialist is responsible for assisting in all day-to-day care and training of the animal collection at their Dolphin Quest location and for providing quality interactive experiences for our guests.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop function as Day Lead and assist animal management with the planning and execution of daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly assignments and goals.
- Develop novel animal training skills, identify enrichment needs, appropriate uses and schedules and implement with animal management approval.
- Assist animal management with the design and implementation of all program development, improvements and changes.
- Handle assigned behavior pyramid focusing on advance animal training knowledge level, must be able to write and execute with minimal guidance.
- Handle assigned husbandry and/or behavioral animal as primary Marine Mammals Specialist.
- Understand the use of operant conditioning and positive reinforcement schedules with the ability to demonstrate use of these skills to others.
- Showcase trained behaviors of dolphins, fish and other animals to Dolphin Quest guests in educational and entertaining presentations.
- Manage multiple animals and situations as required by daily assessments including more advance animal assignments.
- Recognize social compatibilities and operate under circumstances for separations and program set ups.
- Perform regularly in animal and guest program interactions and maintain degree of consistency while ensuring inclusion of local elements.
- Ensure that a safe and learning-friendly environment is maintained for all programming.
- Maintain the highest quality of animal care and exhibits.
- Work with animal management team and veterinarians to monitor health of all animals and assist in providing medical treatment if needed.
- Ensure proper nutrition, prepare food, and feed animals in the collection.
- Assist with regular ultrasound sessions and perform all aspects of approved medical sample analysis and recording.
- Administer approved daily vitamins and prescribed medications.
- Maintain behavior and husbandry records of marine life and other animals.
- Assist and/or lead in assigned department project area(s) and maintain regular communication with animal management team regarding all relevant projects.
- Assist with training new Crew Members as assigned.
- Successfully complete Training Lecture Series.
- Successfully complete all assigned readings and tests.
- Maintain excellent quality standards for customer service and guest interactions.
- Be personally available to guests to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns.
- Maintain safe working conditions and ensure all safety concerns are reported and resolved quickly.
- Ensure adherence to all Dolphin Quest and partner standards.
- Embrace the Dolphin Quest “open door” policy where Crew Members are free to express their concerns and feelings without fear of retribution or ill will.
- Adherence to branding and logo usage guidelines and standards.
- Be environmentally responsible and support community involvement.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, marine biology or related field required.
- 5 years of marine mammal training experience required.
- Proficiency to work in water environment: swimming and snorkeling (Must pass a swim test).
- Knowledge of operant conditioning techniques for training behaviors.
- SCUBA and CPR Certification required.
- Laboratory technician skills preferred.
- Ability to analyze laboratory samples a plus.
- Excellent public speaking / guest services skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Competent computer and internet skills.
- Must be a team player and foster positive attitudes among co-workers and in the workplace.
- Ability to take direction and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner.
- Must be able to work varied schedules, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by a Crew Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The Crew Member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member will be exposed to fairly predictable and controllable hazards associated with having close contact with marine animals; work outdoors in uneven terrain with constant exposure to sun, wind and outdoor elements; move about on slippery surfaces; on the job duties may require long periods of time in salt-water, actively swimming, diving and working in ocean water elements. This job may entail repeated entry and exit into lagoon area with the need to hoist self out of the lagoon. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Apply Online for this Position
Please note the following information is to help you successfully complete your application:
- Attention Apple Computer Users: It is best to use Adobe’s Acrobat Reader program to fill out PDF applications. (The MAC default program Preview will create a blank application when you save the file and send it). You can download it for free from the Adobe Web site.
- Not all Internet Browsers work the same – preferred browser is Internet Explorer. If using Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome browsers – please save the application file to your computer first before filling it out.
- Download the Adobe Reader – Adobe Web site
- Check that your Adobe Reader Plugin (in your browser) is up-to-date – Adobe Web site
- If you have issues opening the PDF file in a browser – Right click on the Download Application button and select either “Save Target as” or “Save Link as” to save the application to your computer.
- Click the Download Application button
- This will open a new window containing the PDF Application
- Complete and Save the application to your computer – please change the application file to your name
Once you have completed and successfully saved the application to your computer, you can proceed to ‘Step 2’ .
- Click the Upload Application button
- You will be redirected to the Upload page where you can submit your saved application, resume, and/or cover letter.
- All files must be either PDF or DOC format.