Marine Mammal Specialist II
|Bermuda||Training||Immediately||February 14, 2020|
Please submit the online application including cover letter and resume. Please see instructions below on how to submit application, resume and cover letter.
Position: Marine Mammal Specialist II
Reports to: Manager of Marine Animals
The Marine Mammal Specialist II is responsible for training and day-to-day care of the animal collection at their Dolphin Quest location, and assisting in providing quality animal interaction experiences for our guests. This position reports to the Manager of Marine Animals.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop animal training skills through opportunities assigned by management, identify enrichment needs, appropriate uses and schedules and implement without guidance.
- Recognize social compatibilities and operate under circumstances for separations and program set ups.
- Perform regularly in dry, shallow and full water interactions with guests including ability to manage without a backup or senior support.
- Showcase trained behaviors of dolphins, fish and other animals to Dolphin Quest guests in educational and entertaining presentations.
- Develop skills for analyzing specific husbandry samples (blow, fecal, gastric) with Coach/Management team.
- Able to handle assigned behavior pyramid focusing on intermediate animal training knowledge level-must be able to write and execute under guidance.
- Handle assigned husbandry and/or behavioral animal as primary Marine Mammal Specialist.
- Understand the use of operant conditioning and positive reinforcement schedules with the ability to demonstrate use of these skills.
- Manage multiple animals as assigned.
- Maintain degree of consistency in programs while ensuring inclusion of local elements.
- Ensure that a safe and learning-friendly environment is maintained for all programming.
- Ensure proper nutrition, prepare food, and feed animals in the collection.
- Maintain the highest quality of animal care and exhibits.
- Work with training supervisor, assistant supervisor, and veterinarians to monitor health of all animals and assist in providing medical treatment if needed.
- Administer approved daily vitamins and prescribed medic
- Assist with regular ultrasound sessions and collection of medical samples.
- Maintain behavior and husbandry records of marine life and other animals.
- Maintain excellent quality standards for customer service and guest interactions.
- Be personally available to guests to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns.
- Maintain safe working conditions and ensure safety concerns are reported and resolved quickly.
- Successfully complete Training Lecture
- Successfully complete all assigned readings and tests.
- Ensure adherence to all Dolphin Quest and partner guidelines and standards.
- Manage assigned projects relating to intermediate job knowledge (enrichment programs, etc.).
- Maintain regular communication with Animal Management team.
- Participate in Training Department and general site meetings.
- Obtain and maintain Sensational Customer Service Certification and renew annually.
- Embrace the Dolphin Quest “open door” policy where Crew Members are free to express their concerns and feelings without fear of retribution or ill will.
- Adherence to branding and logo usage guidelines and standards.
- Be environmentally responsible and support community involvement.
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, marine biology or related field or equivalent training / experience necessary to meet the qualifications listed.
- Knowledge of operant conditioning techniques for training behavior.
- 3 years of training experience.
- Proficient swimmer, snorkeler, SCUBA and CPR Certification.
- Laboratory technician skills preferred.
- Excellent public speaking / guest relations skills.
- Excellent teamwork and problem solving skills.
- Must be a team player and foster positive attitudes among co-workers and in the workplace.
- Ability to take direction and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner.
- Competent computer and internet skills.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by a Crew Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The Crew Member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member will be exposed to fairly predictable and controllable hazards associated with having close contact with marine animals; work outdoors in uneven terrain with constant exposure to sun, wind and outdoor elements; move about on slippery surfaces; on the job duties may require long periods of time in salt-water, actively swimming, diving and working in ocean water elements. This job may entail repeated entry and exit into lagoon area with the need to hoist self out of the lagoon. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Apply Online for this Position
Please note the following information is to help you successfully complete your application:
- Attention Apple Computer Users: It is best to use Adobe’s Acrobat Reader program to fill out PDF applications. (The MAC default program Preview will create a blank application when you save the file and send it). You can download it for free from the Adobe Web site.
- Not all Internet Browsers work the same – preferred browser is Internet Explorer. If using Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome browsers – please save the application file to your computer first before filling it out.
- Download the Adobe Reader – Adobe Web site
- Check that your Adobe Reader Plugin (in your browser) is up-to-date – Adobe Web site
- If you have issues opening the PDF file in a browser – Right click on the Download Application button and select either “Save Target as” or “Save Link as” to save the application to your computer.
- Click the Download Application button
- This will open a new window containing the PDF Application
- Complete and Save the application to your computer – please change the application file to your name
Once you have completed and successfully saved the application to your computer, you can proceed to ‘Step 2’ .
- Click the Upload Application button
- You will be redirected to the Upload page where you can submit your saved application, resume, and/or cover letter.
- All files must be either PDF or DOC format.