Manager of Marine Mammals
Please submit the online application including cover letter and resume. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please see instructions below on how to submit application, resume and cover letter. ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FROM BERMUDIANS OR SPOUSES OF BERMUDIANS ONLY.
Position: Manager of Marine Mammals
Position: Manager of Marine Animals
Reports to: General Managerand Vice President of Animals
The Manager of Marine Animals is responsible for the training, animal husbandry and the day-to-day care and management of all dolphin and multi-species collection at their Dolphin Quest location, as well as the management and professional development of their assigned Crew Members to provide quality interactive experiences for our guests. This position reports to the General Manager and the Vice President of Animals.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the planning and management of dolphin and multi-species training and animal care and the interviewing, selection, scheduling, training, evaluation and supervision of department Crew Members.
- Assist with the design and implementation of all program development, improvements and changes.
- Ensure overall program excellence on all levels by maintaining quality standards regarding presentation of information including materials in programs, methods, style and professionalism.
- Conduct program assessment for all interaction programs and adjust program design accordingly.
- Establish a degree of consistency in programs while ensuring inclusion of local elements.
- Work with Crew Members to implement training plans, desensitization, husbandry and behavior management.
- Responsible for scheduling and approval of all special encounters.
- Supervise Crew Members showcasing trained behaviors of dolphins and multi-species to Dolphin Quest guests in educational and entertaining programs.
- Be personally available to guests to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns.
- Supervise all day-to-day facility care and maintenance.
- Supervise animal diets and make adjustments as necessary.
- Supervise the scheduling, proper collection, and analysis of all animal husbandry samples.
- Ensure that regular ultrasound sessions are conducted.
- Ensure accuracy and maintenance of animal behavior and medical records.
- Schedule and partake in all veterinary visits.
- Develop and advance Crew Members’ understanding of and ability to demonstrate and communicate training theory.
- Perform in and observe all aspects of animal interactions with guests.
- Provide leadership and inspire Crew Member teamwork.
- Instill the meaning and importance of customer service in all Dolphin Quest Crew Members.
- Motivate and develop Crew Members in order to encourage their professional development.
- Provide and arrange Professional Development Opportunities for Crew Members.
- Set and oversee the planning and execution of all departmental goals.
- Ensure that assigned Crew Members complete the Dolphin Quest Training Lecture series.
- Ensure assignment of husbandry labs for Crew Members professional development opportunities.
- Delegate work load appropriately and effectively.
- Conduct, attend and participate in regular meetings.
- Write monthly Training Department report and submit to the General Manager.
- Maintain fiscal responsibility.
- Work with the Director of Human Resources to ensure that all Crew Member related transactions are in full compliance with employment laws, and HR practices and procedures.
- Embrace the Dolphin Quest “open door” policy where Crew Members are free to express their concerns and feelings without fear of retribution or ill will.
- Maintainsafeworkingconditionsandensuresafetyconcernsare reported and resolvedquickly.
- Ensure adherencetoDolphin Quest guidelinesand
- Act environmentally responsible.
- Support community involvement.
- Maintain 5-Star criteria in workplace.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with a minimum of 5 years related marine mammal training experience.
- Minimum of three years staff supervisory experience.
- Applicants must know principals of dolphin care and husbandry including:
- Dolphin nutritional requirements.
- Disease recognition and treatment.
- Inter- and intra-specific dolphin behavior.
- Knowledge of operant conditioning techniques for training behavior.
- Demonstration of ability to proficiently work in water environment: swimming, snorkeling, and SCUBA Certification.
- CPR Certification preferred.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Must be a strong team player and foster positive attitudes among Crew Members and in the workplace.
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities.
- Excellent skills in communication including verbal, written and public speaking.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Laboratory technician skills preferred.
- Competent computer and internet skills.
- Informal educational experience desired.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by a Crew Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The Crew Member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member may be exposed to fairly predictable and controllable hazards associated with having close contact with marine animals; work outdoors in uneven terrain with constant exposure to sun, wind and outdoor elements; move about on slippery surfaces; on the job duties may require long periods of time in salt-water, actively swimming, diving and working in ocean water elements. This job may entail repeated entry and exit into lagoon area with the need to hoist self out of the lagoon.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Crew Member must be able and willing to travel domestically and internationally.
Apply Online for this Position
Please note the following information is to help you successfully complete your application:
- Attention Apple Computer Users: It is best to use Adobe’s Acrobat Reader program to fill out PDF applications. (The MAC default program Preview will create a blank application when you save the file and send it). You can download it for free from the Adobe Web site.
- Not all Internet Browsers work the same – preferred browser is Internet Explorer. If using Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome browsers – please save the application file to your computer first before filling it out.
- Download the Adobe Reader – Adobe Web site
- Check that your Adobe Reader Plugin (in your browser) is up-to-date – Adobe Web site
- If you have issues opening the PDF file in a browser – Right click on the Download Application button and select either “Save Target as” or “Save Link as” to save the application to your computer.
- Click the Download Application button
- This will open a new window containing the PDF Application
- Complete and Save the application to your computer – please change the application file to your name
Once you have completed and successfully saved the application to your computer, you can proceed to ‘Step 2’ .
- Click the Upload Application button
- You will be redirected to the Upload page where you can submit your saved application, resume, and/or cover letter.
- All files must be either PDF or DOC format.