|Big Island, Hawaii
Please submit the online application including cover letter and resume. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please see instructions below on how to submit application, resume and cover letter.
Position: Operations Assistant
Reports to: Assistant Managers
The Operations Assistant will be responsible for providing quality experiences for our Guests in the areas of guest services, retail, productions, and education at Dolphin Quest Hawaii, with direction from the Assistant Manager / Operations and Assistant Manager / Education. This position will not be working in Training.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Share knowledge of Dolphin Quest, its history, the habitat and the dolphins.
- Actively pursue Quest Engagement to cultivate Guests’ interest in dolphins and Dolphin Quest programs.
- Assist with host/hostess duties as needed.
- Work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to multitask and maintain composure and professionalism in high pressure situations.
- Creatively generate new ideas and working solutions.
- Embrace the Dolphin Quest “open door” policy where Crew Members are free to express their concerns and feelings without fear of retribution or ill will.
- Participate in department meetings.
- Maintain open and positive relations with all Dolphin Quest locations and Crew Members.
- Develop and maintain proper interdepartmental integration locally and globally.
- Maintain regular communication with assigned teams regarding all relevant projects.
- Maintain safe working conditions for Crew Members and Guests, and ensure safety concerns are reported and resolved quickly.
- Uphold branding and logo usage guidelines and standards as outlined in Crew Member Handbook.
- Be environmentally responsible.
- Support community involvement.
- Serve in whatever role is needed for better company efficiency and productivity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position will require cross-training in multiple departments. The responsibilities listed below are by department function and the selected candidate will be required to perform some or all of these job duties as assigned:
- Enthusiastically approach and respond to guest inquiries in a positive, confident, and effective manner.
- Be personally available to greet and check in guests, offer assistance, address concerns and provide sensational service during guest interactions.
- Process walk-up and phone reservations through the computer reservations system.
- Answer calls, respond to inquiries, record and relay messages accurately, and direct them to the appropriate Crew Member or department.
- Actively pursue Quest Engagement to cultivate guests’ interest in dolphins and Dolphin Quest programs and products.
- Share knowledge of Dolphin Quest, its history, the habitat, and the dolphins.
- Operates cash register, camera, computer and other office equipment.
- Effectively and accurately process all financial transactions throughout the day.
- Assist Guests with life jacket fittings and program preparation
- Actively work to effectively merchandise and promote retail sales
- Assist with check-in, tagging, organizing and display of merchandise orders
- Maintain quality appearance of our Dolphin Quest facility by attractively displaying products; cleaning work areas keeping displays tidy, restocking merchandise, and reorganizing work areas for maximum efficiency.
- Performs photographic duties for our programs.
- Produce high quality, customized photographs for Dolphin Quest Guests during their encounters according to Dolphin Quest criteria.
- Print photos and create desired media.
- Promote onsite and online photo sales.
- Consult and assist Guests with photo selection.
- Produce all photo orders in a timely manner
- Coordinate and maintain daily photo productions process.
- Supply weekly selection of superior photos to corporate offices for Dolphin Quest branding and marketing opportunities.
- Maintain, clean and prepare photography cameras, flashes and photography equipment.
- Restock and reorganize work areas for maximum efficiency.
- Assist with the facilitation of Education programs as needed.
- Feed, care for and train our family of multispecies as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (Training / Education Only) or related training and/or experience necessary to meet the qualifications listed above.
- Previous experience in hospitality industry preferred.
- Experience with cash handling and end-of-day banking experience
- Ability to work varied schedules, weekends and holidays required.
- Foreign language fluency, particularly Japanese or Chinese, a plus.
- Ability to operate computers, cameras and cash register.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to adjust to changing work priorities.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Work effectively with both children and adults.
- Creativity to generate new ideas and working solutions
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by a Crew Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The Crew Member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member will be exposed to fairly predictable and controllable hazards associated with having close contact with marine animals; work outdoors in uneven terrain with constant exposure to sun, wind and outdoor elements; move about on slippery surfaces. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Apply Online for this Position
Please note the following information is to help you successfully complete your application:
- Attention Apple Computer Users: It is best to use Adobe’s Acrobat Reader program to fill out PDF applications. (The MAC default program Preview will create a blank application when you save the file and send it). You can download it for free from the Adobe Web site.
- Not all Internet Browsers work the same – preferred browser is Internet Explorer. If using Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome browsers – please save the application file to your computer first before filling it out.
- Download the Adobe Reader – Adobe Web site
- Check that your Adobe Reader Plugin (in your browser) is up-to-date – Adobe Web site
- If you have issues opening the PDF file in a browser – Right click on the Download Application button and select either “Save Target as” or “Save Link as” to save the application to your computer.
- Click the Download Application button
- This will open a new window containing the PDF Application
- Complete and Save the application to your computer – please change the application file to your name
Once you have completed and successfully saved the application to your computer, you can proceed to ‘Step 2’ .
- Click the Upload Application button
- You will be redirected to the Upload page where you can submit your saved application, resume, and/or cover letter.
- All files must be either PDF or DOC format.