|Big Island, Hawaii
Please submit the online application including cover letter and resume. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please see instructions below on how to submit application, resume and cover letter.
Position: General Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations
The General Manager is responsible for all aspects of the successful operation of the Dolphin Quest location with direction and support from the Quest Global Management Directors. S/he will consistently provide our guests, crew members and business partners with the highest level of service and be responsible for achieving budgeted revenue targets while monitoring and controlling expenses. S/he will ensure the working environment is value-centered by demonstrating, supporting and implementing the Dolphin Quest Mission, Vision and Values through direct personal action and through solution-oriented strategies.
- Manage the necessary resources to maintain the highest quality of animal care and to ensure the facility and practices meet or exceed all USDA and AMMPA requirements.
- Represent Dolphin Quest in the local and regional tourism and hospitality sectors.
- Manage staff and resources to ensure exceptional program quality, guest safety and the well-being of crew.
- Lead by example, coach, and mentor to create a strong and versatile Dolphin Quest team.
- Manage daily program inventory to exceed our guests’ expectations.
- Be available to communicate and identify guests’ needs and address their questions or concerns.
- Participate in creating and executing the fiscal revenue plan and budget for the Dolphin Quest site.
- Develop and monitor the capital expense budget to ensure that the site is properly maintained and upgraded.
- Prepare and maintain reports, records, documents and files associated with the financial reporting processes.
- Manage and assure the accuracy, timeliness, and efficiency of operations and day-to-day accounting practices.
- Ensure accurate recording and reporting of Crew Member labor hours and payroll records.
- Develop the merchandising plan reflecting Dolphin Quest’s image of stewardship and sustainability.
- Support the marketing and PR plan that represents the Dolphin Quest brand while maximizing sales.
- Manage local media under the guidance of the Director of Marketing and Public Relations.
- Ensure that the site is compliant with all employment laws and regulations, under the guidance of the Director of Human Resources.
- Hire and train skilled and qualified people to provide the best possible customer service and animal care.
- Implement and ensure that all company policies and procedures are communicated in a timely manner and adhered to accordingly.
- Maintain safe working conditions and resolve safety concerns in a timely manner.
- Inspire and motivate Crew Members to individually and collectively practice value-driven decision making, to contribute to sensational customer service and to support the success of the location.
- Embrace and encourage the Dolphin Quest “open door” policy where Crew Members are free to constructively express their concerns and feelings without fear of retribution or ill will.
- Promote employee professional development opportunities.
- Lead monthly Crew Member meetings.
- Create timely written monthly reports of site activity.
- Adhere to branding and logo usage guidelines and standards set by Quest Global Management.
- Ensure that the host property’s policies and standards are understood and adhered to by all Crew Members.
- Provide consistent, effective and responsive communication to our host property representatives.
- Serve as liaison with host property, attend host property management meetings and communicate significant information to the Director of Operations.
- Be solution-oriented when problems arise which entail collaboration with the host property.
- Ensure we “walk the talk” through environmentally responsible operations; reducing plastics, recycling, conserving energy and seeking environmentally friendly products and suppliers.
- Support community involvement in stewardship activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 7+ years of experience in operations management for hotel, zoo, aquarium or hospitality industry required.
- Superior knowledge of multiple operational functions and principles, including finance, customer service, production, and employee management.
- Proven ability to plan and manage operational process for maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to streamline and implement processes that create efficiency and support rapidly shifting demands.
- Strong working knowledge of hospitality industry regulations and legislative guidelines and compliance.
- Experience with budget and business plan development preferred.
- Aptitude in financial reports and analysis.
- Masterful organizational, interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
- Analytical skills to evaluate data and make operational decisions.
- Experience in hiring, training and developing employee performance and productivity.
- Excellent people and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment while managing multiple tasks and demands.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Innovative, solution-oriented, flexible, can-do attitude essential.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Great Plains, Microsoft Dynamics or other Point-of-Sale Systems is a plus.
- Ability to operate computers, cameras and cash register.
- Valid Driver License.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by a Crew Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The Crew Member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member will be exposed to fairly predictable and controllable hazards associated with having close contact with marine animals; work outdoors in uneven terrain with constant exposure to sun, wind and outdoor elements; move about on slippery surfaces; on the job duties may require long periods of time in salt-water, actively swimming, diving and working in ocean water elements. This job may entail repeated entry and exit into lagoon area with the need to hoist self out of the lagoon. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Apply Online for this Position
Please note the following information is to help you successfully complete your application:
- Attention Apple Computer Users: It is best to use Adobe’s Acrobat Reader program to fill out PDF applications. (The MAC default program Preview will create a blank application when you save the file and send it). You can download it for free from the Adobe Web site.
- Not all Internet Browsers work the same – preferred browser is Internet Explorer. If using Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome browsers – please save the application file to your computer first before filling it out.
- Download the Adobe Reader – Adobe Web site
- Check that your Adobe Reader Plugin (in your browser) is up-to-date – Adobe Web site
- If you have issues opening the PDF file in a browser – Right click on the Download Application button and select either “Save Target as” or “Save Link as” to save the application to your computer.
- Click the Download Application button
- This will open a new window containing the PDF Application
- Complete and Save the application to your computer – please change the application file to your name
Once you have completed and successfully saved the application to your computer, you can proceed to ‘Step 2’ .
- Click the Upload Application button
- You will be redirected to the Upload page where you can submit your saved application, resume, and/or cover letter.
- All files must be either PDF or DOC format.