Assistant Marine Mammal Specialist
|Oahu, Hawaii||Training||March*||Until Filled|
*This will be a temporary position from March – September, 2020.
Please submit the online application including cover letter and resume. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please see instructions below on how to submit application, resume and cover letter.
Position: Assistant Marine Mammal Specialist
Reports to: Manager of Marine Animals
Temporary Position: March – September 2020
Rate: $17.00 / Hour
The Assistant Marine Mammal Specialist is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day duties and care of the animal collection and for providing quality experiences for our Guests in the areas of training, guest services, retail, productions and education at their Dolphin Quest location with direction from the Manager of Marine Animals.
Typical Responsibilities for all Crew Members:
- Share knowledge of Dolphin Quest, its history, the habitat and the dolphins.
- Actively pursue Quest Engagement to cultivate Guests’ interest in dolphins and Dolphin Quest programs.
- Assist with host/hostess duties as needed.
- Work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to multitask and maintain composure and professionalism in high pressure situations.
- Creatively generate new ideas and working solutions.
- Embrace the Dolphin Quest “open door” policy where Crew Members are free to express their concerns and feelings without fear of retribution or ill will.
- Participate in department and general site meetings.
- Maintain excellent quality standards for customer service and guest interactions.
- Maintain regular communication with assigned teams regarding all relevant projects.
- Maintain safe working conditions and ensure safety concerns are reported and resolved quickly.
- Ensure adherence to all Dolphin Quest and partner guidelines and standards.
- Uphold branding and logo usage guidelines and standards as outlined in Crew Member Handbook.
- Serve in whatever role is needed for better company efficiency and productivity.
- Assist Guests with life jacket fittings and program preparation.
- Be environmentally responsible.
- Support community involvement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position will require cross-training in multiple departments. The responsibilities listed below are by department function and the selected candidate will be required to perform some or all of these job duties as assigned:
- Learn how to train marine mammals to demonstrate behaviors and adaptations on cue as part of educational and fun interactive experiences with Dolphin Quest guests.
- Learn and know individual animal behavioral repertoires and the expected criteria of success.
- Learn the social dynamics of the animal population and how to identify and contribute to compatible scenarios.
- Shadow and learn the role of Marine Mammal Specialist I in dry, shallow and full water interactions with guests.
- Ensure proper nutrition, by learning and assisting with food preparation, proper keeping of records, cleaning and feeding of animals in the collection.
- Showcase trained behaviors of dolphins, fish and other animals to Dolphin Quest guests in educational and entertaining presentations.
- Ensure that a safe and learning-friendly environment is maintained for all programming.
- Learn how to keep accurate daily animal records including the recording and reporting of the Daily Dolphin Assessment.
- Complete daily husbandry procedures according to protocols.
- Administer approved daily vitamins and prescribed medications.
- Prepare and administer animal diets and ensure fish used for the animals’ diets are of the highest quality.
- Manage assigned projects relating to intermediate job knowledge (enrichment programs, etc.).
- Assist with multispecies feeds, participate in animal sessions, training, diet prep, habitat, maintenance and record keeping and develops skills for proper maintenance of animal behavior.
- Identify animal enrichment needs, appropriate uses and schedules, and implement.
- Assist with collection of medical samples.
- Understand the use of operant conditioning and positive reinforcement schedules with the ability to demonstrate use of these skills.
- Assist with maintaining our professional image by keeping all workplace environments clean, organized and inviting.
- Successfully complete all assigned readings and tests.
- Successfully complete Training Lecture
Guest Services / Retail / Productions
- Enthusiastically approach and respond to guest inquiries in a positive, confident, and effective manner.
- Be personally available to greet and check in guests, offer assistance, address concerns and provide sensational service during guest interactions.
- Process walk-up and phone reservations through the computer reservations system.
- Answer calls, respond to inquiries, record and relay messages accurately, and direct them to the appropriate Crew Member or department.
- Operates cash register, camera, computer and other office equipment.
- Effectively and accurately process all financial transactions throughout the day.
- Actively work to effectively merchandise and promote retail sales
- Assist with check-in, tagging, organizing and display of merchandise orders
- Maintain quality appearance of our Dolphin Quest facility by attractively displaying products; cleaning work areas keeping displays tidy, restocking merchandise, and reorganizing work areas for maximum efficiency.
- Performs photographic duties for our programs.
- Produce high quality, customized photographs for Dolphin Quest Guests during their encounters according to Dolphin Quest criteria.
- Print photos and create desired media.
- Promote onsite and online photo sales.
- Consult and assist Guests with photo selection.
- Produce all photo orders in a timely manner
- Coordinate and maintain daily photo productions process.
- Supply weekly selection of superior photos to corporate offices for Dolphin Quest branding and marketing opportunities.
- Maintain, clean and prepare photography cameras, flashes and photography equipment.
- Restock and reorganize work areas for maximum efficiency.
- Assist with the facilitation of Education programs as needed.
- Feed, care for and train our family of multispecies as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, marine biology or related field.
- Proficiently to work in water environment: swimming and snorkeling (Must pass a swim test).
- Knowledge of operant conditioning techniques for training behavior.
- Excellent public speaking / guest relations skills.
- Excellent teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Must be a team player and foster positive attitudes among co-workers and in the workplace.
- Competent computer and internet skills.
- Foreign language fluency, particularly Japanese or Chinese, a plus.
- SCUBA and CPR Certification preferred.
- Previous experience in hospitality industry preferred.
- Experience with cash handling and end-of-day banking experience, preferred.
- Must be able to work effectively with both children and adults.
- Must be able to work varied schedules, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to take direction and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by a Crew Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Crew Member is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The Crew Member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Apply Online for this Position
Please note the following information is to help you successfully complete your application:
- Attention Apple Computer Users: It is best to use Adobe’s Acrobat Reader program to fill out PDF applications. (The MAC default program Preview will create a blank application when you save the file and send it). You can download it for free from the Adobe Web site.
- Not all Internet Browsers work the same – preferred browser is Internet Explorer. If using Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome browsers – please save the application file to your computer first before filling it out.
- Download the Adobe Reader – Adobe Web site
- Check that your Adobe Reader Plugin (in your browser) is up-to-date – Adobe Web site
- If you have issues opening the PDF file in a browser – Right click on the Download Application button and select either “Save Target as” or “Save Link as” to save the application to your computer.
- Click the Download Application button
- This will open a new window containing the PDF Application
- Complete and Save the application to your computer – please change the application file to your name
Once you have completed and successfully saved the application to your computer, you can proceed to ‘Step 2’ .
- Click the Upload Application button
- You will be redirected to the Upload page where you can submit your saved application, resume, and/or cover letter.
- All files must be either PDF or DOC format.