Looking to join the fun, innovative Dolphin Quest team? The Apprentice Marine Mammal Specialist Program could be just what you are looking for!
As part of our team, you will assist with animal management and daily operations with a holistic exposure to all elements of our day. You will be responsible for advancing our mission by touching hearts and minds through quality interactions with our guests.
This program is designed for those interested in advancing their experience within an interactive setting to pursue a career in the marine mammal field.
Dolphin Quest Apprentice Program Description
This opportunity is available to students, ages 18 and older.
The candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Working towards or completion of Bachelor’s degree in psychology, marine biology or related field or equivalent training / experience necessary to meet the qualifications listed
- Knowledge of operant conditioning techniques for training behavior preferred
- Proficient swimmer and snorkeler
- SCUBA and CPR certification preferred
- Excellent public speaking / guest relations skills
- Excellent teamwork and problem solving skills
- Must be a team player and foster positive attitudes among co-workers and in the workplace
- Ability to take direction and complete multiple tasks in a timely manner
- Competent computer and internet skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
During the Apprentice program, you will learn the following:
- Training of marine mammals to demonstrate behaviors and adaptations on cue as part of educational and fun interactive experiences with Dolphin Quest guests
- Individual animal behavioral repertoires
- Social dynamics of the animal population
- The role of Marine Mammal Specialist I in guest interactions
- Food preparation, keeping of records, cleaning and feeding animals in the collection
- Excellent quality standards for customer service and guest interactions
- Front of house operations including guest services, productions and education.
- Advanced level Apprentice Marine Mammal Specialists may assist with mentoring incoming Apprentice Marine Mammal Specialist.
Dolphin Quest Hawaii, located on the Big Island of Hawaii in Waikoloa Village.
The program operates on an annual basis and is offered for one year in duration.
Current Session: May 1, 2017 – April 30, 2018
Next Session: Spring 2019 – Spring 2020
Dolphin Quest Oahu, located at the Kahala Hotel and Resort in Honolulu, will be accepting applicants for the next session.
Dolphin Quest Bermuda, located inside the National Museum of Bermuda, will be accepting applicants for the next session. Applicants from Bermuda will be encouraged to apply.
Application and Deadline
The deadline to apply is January 10, 2019. For more information and to apply, click here.