Dolphin Quest has been a community education partner, welcoming school children as participants in our field trip program, for over 20 years. Education is at the foundation of our mission to touch hearts and minds and inspire the next generation of stewards. In this 3rd annual contest, Dolphin Quest is again reaching out to Title I schools. Students are presented with a question about a current conservation hot topic. Submissions may take the form each classroom deems best suited to address the issue (i.e. 2-dimensional art project, video, essay, song, etc.). The winning classroom will receive an all-expense paid field trip, including transportation, to Dolphin Quest Oahu at The Kahala Hotel & Resort! View contest rules below to learn more.
The winner will win an all-expense paid field trip to Dolphin Quest for their classroom!
2019-2020 Conservation Topics
4th Grade Contest Theme
Vote as a class on whether Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins need our help. Create a tool to educate others about your decision.
Marine Mammals such as whales and dolphins are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Some marine mammals have additional protection such as being listed as Endangered Species.
Currently State and Federal agencies are preparing new rules regarding how humans interact with Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins.
As part of this process submissions should reflect student learning on topics such as:
- Hawaiian Spinner Dolphin habitat and behavior
- Current rules regarding interactions with spinner dolphins
- Why Scientists are concerned about the spinner dolphins
- Why people do not want additional rules
- Pros & Cons of each side of the debate question “do they need our help” – summary of debate points discussion
Contest Rules & Guidelines
In the 2019-20 school year, the contest is offered to 4th grade students enrolled in Title I schools on Oahu. Only one entry per classroom will be accepted – prizes are awarded per classroom. All students in the class are expected to participate in the final project being submitted.
Send an email, no later than October 31, 2019 with the following information to [email protected]
- School Name
- School Mailing Address
- Teacher Name
- Teacher email & phone number
- Number of students in class
- Type of submission
Submit your project no later than January 20, 2020.
Solutions come in many forms and students are encouraged to think outside the box for their submission. As such we have chosen not to limit submissions to a single type such as an essay or photo contest. Each submission must be made available to judges either via email or USPS. For example, essays & videos can be submitted via email; large art projects such as posters can be mailed or dropped off at Dolphin Quest located at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.
Submissions will be rated on the following criteria on a 3-point scale:
- Creativity – How creative the submission is in relation to the issue
- Presentation – Quality/craftsmanship of the final product relevant to the type of entry (essay, photo, etc.)
- Quality – What was the level of participation in the final product (i.e. student-led or teacher-led)
- Relevance – How well the solution addresses the question
- Participation – Did the project involve all students in the classroom
Submission Deadline: January 20, 2020
Dolphin Quest Oahu
ATTN: Michelle Benedict
5000 Kahala Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816
Drop-off in person to Dolphin Quest at The Kahala Hotel & Resort:
ATTN: Michelle Benedict
Dolphin Quest kiosk (daily 9:00am – 4:00pm)
Located between the waterfall and swimming pool at The Kahala Hotel & Resort
Email to: [email protected]
Grand Prize: The winning classroom will win an all-expense paid (bus fare & field trip cost) “Ocean Adventure” field trip to Dolphin Quest. Field trip to be scheduled between Feb 7 – May 24, 2020.
Runner Up Prize: The second-place classroom will win their choice of a complimentary “Ocean Adventure” field trip to Dolphin Quest Oahu at The Kahala Hotel & Resort (transportation is ON OWN) OR “Distance Learning” program
All classrooms who enter will receive a Thank You gift for participating.
- All submissions become the property of Dolphin Quest.
- Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use of winning classroom & school name, entry and photos taken during the field trip for advertising and publicity purposes.
All participating classrooms will receive a consolation prize. Winners will be announced January 27, 2020.
All submissions become the property of Dolphin Quest. Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use winning classroom & school name, entry and photos taken during the field trip for advertising and publicity purposes.
For further information contact: [email protected]