Who is the PMLF?
- The Pacific Marine Life Foundation (PMLF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization led by marine scientists, environmentalists, and educators.
- We support scientific research that helps identify solutions to the most critical conservation challenges facing marine species and ecosystems in the Pacific basin.
- We encourage responsible activities that educate the public and strengthen their connections to marine life, inspiring future generations of ocean stewards.
To learn more about the Pacific Marine Life Foundation, click here.
What is the Stranding Science Center?
- Marine mammals can become stranded on our beaches when they are sick, injured, or deceased, and these strandings can be the result of natural or human related causes.
- When strandings occur, it is critical for trained response teams to provide immediate assistance to the animals in need.
- Stranding events allow scientists the unique opportunity to closely investigate mortalities and collect data from both living and deceased animals.
- The PMLF supports the only marine mammal stranding response permit in Hawaii.
- The University of Hawaii Marine Mammal Stranding Research Program is the only entity permitted by the Federal government to respond to dead or live stranded whales and dolphins in Hawaii and the Pacific Basin.
- This team conducts necropsies, gathers valuable data and educates the public about why marine mammals strand.
- PMLF’s commitment to supporting rescue and rehabilitation efforts in Hawaiian waters includes funding a live stranding rehabilitation facility on Oahu.
- Currently, the only option for whales and dolphins who strand alive is euthanasia.
- This facility will provide an alternative as a base for the rehabilitation of live stranded cetaceans before their reintroduction into the wild.
- It will also serve as a research lab to learn more about these animals and the cause of their stranding.
- PMLF’s support of these rescue and rehabilitation efforts are reliant on donations from the community, businesses and grant-making organizations.
How You Can Support PMLF
Your tax-deductible contribution supports:
- Response to stranded cetaceans
- Building of the Stranding Science Center
- University level research projects
- Public outreach and education
- Conservation of critical marine ecosystems
The Dolphin Quest Connection:
- Dolphin Quest Hawaii makes financial contributions to PMLF throughout the year.
- We also provide professional expertise and in-kind support to PMLF.